≡ Menu

That One Time My Face Swelled Up From An Allergic Reaction

I’ve never really struggled with allergies too much. More now than when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, and I’ve heard that’s pretty common for the Austin area. But even still, it’s just a random little sneezing and runny nose here and there when there’s something really strong in the air. Oh, and I’ve also always had a cat allergy. I used to just have a cat anyway, and ignore it… but it got worse and worse to where it really wasn’t fair to him because I couldn’t really pet him or hold him without getting pretty uncomfortable. Aside from that though, allergies isn’t really anything that I worry about. I don’t have any real seasonal allergies to speak of.

So the other day when my face swelled up at work for what appeared to be no reason whatsoever… It was very alarming. When I woke up in the morning, everything was fine. I got up, got ready, took the kiddo to preschool and headed on into the office. I wasn’t there for very long before things started to get weird. My eyes were really itchy and my breathing started to feel a little labored and wheezy, like someone was sitting on my chest. I told our admin assistant that I was going to run home and take some allergy medication to see if that helped. I live right around the corner, so it only took me a couple minutes… And by the time I got back, it was really getting a lot worse. Wheezing more, my eyes felt really sore. I was so uncomfortable that I went in and talked to my dad and started crying, which probably made it worse. I told him I was going to go home and take a shower, because I didn’t know if there was something on my clothes or what. I literally couldn’t think of a single thing that was different in my routine that could have caused this weirdness.

After my shower, nothing changed… in fact, it felt like it was getting worse. Naturally my mom, who’s much more clear-headed than I was at the moment, demanded that I go to the ER and get it looked at, just to be on the safe side. So I called Dad and he came to pick me up at the house. At this point, I was miserable, and things were starting to look blurry. While I was waiting for my dad to come get me, I took this lovely selfie (keep in mind these are pics I was sending my mom… so forgive the way I look, it’s pretty frightening):


There’s some swelling… at this point, you might even be convinced it was from the crying. It wasn’t, but its okay if you think it looks like that. :o) I’ll prove you wrong in a minute, I promise. So we get to the ER and luckily, there’s nobody there, so I didn’t have to wait long. After some discussion with the doc about any changes in my diet or routine, it was decided that an IV with Benadryl, Pepcid and Prednisone should do the trick. Oh, and after the phlebotomist couldn’t hit my vein and had to move over to my other arm because no amount of sloshing his needling all over inside my left arm helped him get it done. It’s still bruised by the way… Just a side note: I don’t love cocky phlebotomists, everybody thinks they’re an expert until they meet my arm.

Anyway, with the IV in and the swelling starting to subside, I was finally feeling better. It was nice to have Dad there with me to make me laugh through my discomfort. I remember at one point telling him that when he makes me laugh, my vision disappears completely because my eyes were so swollen. It was pretty funny, looking back on it. But super scary when it first happened. Yikes… here come a couple more super scary pictures. Don’t judge me.


And by the time we took this next picture, I was finally in the hospital waiting to get my IV. I had calmed down and my dad was already busy making me laugh. Isn’t that what Dads are for?


Has anything like this ever happened to you? I still have no idea what happened to me or what I was allergic to. People told me to go see an allergist, which I guess I should do… I guess we’ll see. I only had to spend an hour or two in the ER and then they let me go home with a prescription for a couple days of Prednisone.

This is what I looked like after I left the hospital and was waiting in line for my prescription.


It went down pretty quickly, but I didn’t feel normal for a few days. It was rough. I went home and went to bed with the hopes of sleeping.. but if you’ve ever taken Prednisone, you know THAT didn’t happen. I just laid there miserable trying to watch TV through my swollen lids.

So glad that’s over. I wonder what it was?? What are you allergic to?

Leah Sannar

PS: This post was NOT sponsored by Benadryl, but I will sing their praises because it helped my swelling go down so quickly! It also helped my sweet Bash when he got hives a couple weeks ago. That was terrifying, so now I pretty much just keep it on hand. 


5 comments… add one
  • Jennifer aka Baby Making Machine April 7, 2016, 3:39 pm

    I’m so glad you’re ok!! How crazy was that reaction? I’m allergic to penicillin. Not very exciting.
    Jennifer aka Baby Making Machine recently posted…An Open Letter to My 3-Year-OldMy Profile

    • Leah Sannar April 8, 2016, 7:26 pm

      I bet it would be exciting if someone accidentally gave it to you in the hospital! Yeah the reaction was crazy and scary! I guess I need to figure out what caused it. If I had to guess, it would be the dust at Straight Wheels.

  • Sue B April 8, 2016, 12:08 am

    I’m allergic to Keflex, IV dye and poison ivy.

    • Leah Sannar April 8, 2016, 7:24 pm

      Wow! Well at least you know what to watch out for! :)

  • Jing May 11, 2016, 1:32 am

    Hi Lifelemonsandlemonade,
    Thank you for sharing your article, it is interesting !
    Keep posting !
    Jing recently posted…Is your Physician Board Certified?My Profile

Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

©2014 Life, Lemons and Lemonade | All Rights Reserved | Site by A LA MODE designs